How It Works
We'll explain the fundamentals of car insurance here. Learn more about the basic coverages to determine what to look for when shopping for California car insurance quotes.
Car Insurance Liability Coverages
These coverages usually come standard in most auto policies. When you apply for California car insurance quotes, you'll want to make sure your prospective policy includes bodily injury and property damage liability coverage to comply with California law. Here are the types of liability coverages:
- Property damage liability - this protects you if your vehicle causes damage to someone else's property. This coverage can also help pay for your legal counsel if a liability lawsuit is filed against you after a covered accident.
- Bodily injury liability - this coverage protects you if you hurt or kill someone with your car. It can also help pay for your legal defense if a lawsuit is filed against you. Remember that bodily injury covers people, not property.
- Medical payments coverage - this covers the medical expenses of you and your passengers. If you have adequate health insurance, this coverage is unnecessary.
- Underinsured/uninsured driver coverage - this will cover damage to your car caused by drivers who don't have insurance or are inadequately insured
Car Insurance Property Coverages
You will also see property coverages included in most of the policies for which you receive California car insurance quotes. Here are the types of property coverages:
- Collision coverage - this pays for the damage to your car when it is hit by or hits another driver. You might want to dispense with this coverage if your have an older car to get lower California car insurance quotes.
- Comprehensive coverage - this pays for damage to your car not caused by a collision. Covered events might include theft, vandalism, weather damage, etc.
Though additional coverages will typically increase the price of your California car insurance quotes, some of them can be well worth the additional cost. Common additional coverages include things like rental reimbursement, which will reimburse you for the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired or replaced after a covered accident. You might also choose an additional coverage on your stereo/sound system to protect against theft. Get more money saving tips on car insurance on the next page.